Friday, April 20, 2012

Why won't my Radeon HD6950 flash to a HD6970?

As most of us know, some ATi Radeon HD6950's can be flashed or "unlocked" to an HD6970. Mainly the 2GB "Reference" versions. The 1GB and later versions had the extra shaders physically disabled, rather than just through the card's BIOS. I recently purchased a "Reference" HD6950, that includes the dual BIOS with the small switch to aid in flashing. So in theory, because this is a reference version it should have the exact same core / number of shaders as the HD6970, and just have some of the shaders disabled through the card's BIOS. Now here's the problem...I have tried and failed miserably to unlock these extra shaders on my 6950. I have tried flashing with numerous different 6970 BIOS's, and even creating/editing my own to unlock them. Nothing thus far has been successful. It will flash successfully (or appear to anyways), boot with the 6970 BIOS, and run the Core and Memory at the 6970's rated speeds, but the number of shaders always remains locked at the standard 1,408 instead of the 6970's 1,536. I have tried everything I can think of. Re-installing the drivers after the flash, flashing without the drivers installed and then installing them after the flash, flashing with no driver re-install, flashing on a fresh OS with a freshly formatted hard drive, you name it I've tried it. Is there something I missed? A step I was unaware of? I have been using Radeon Bios Editor and atiwinflash to flash the card. Everything seems to take except the shader unlock. The speeds, the voltages, the CCC overclocking profiles all show this as a 6970. Any help would be VERY appreciated as I would rather flash this @#$% thing to a 6970 than sell it for another Reference 6950 I actually CAN flash....



System Specs:



Windows 7 64-bit

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @3.8GHz

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600

Ati Radeon HD6950

1.25 TB Hard Drive

650w PSU|||Try this video to see if it'll help:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIIIaIq60…

No comments:

Post a Comment